Before getting into the basic laws, let’s find out as a citizen why you should know the laws that can help you in your daily life.
It is necessary for every person to have a certain knowledge of Law, otherwise, it would become very difficult for him to tackle several problems, from consumer protection to fundamental rights.
Think you’re in a position with traffic police where you don’t know why they are charging a fine, or is it justified. Now if you know some basic laws then you will have an extra edge. Of course, if you break the law then this is not going to help you, but knowing the rights beforehand you can avoid some basic mistakes and can save yourself from trouble.
Now the lists of basic laws are never-ending, but we’ll try to sum up with a few that can really help you in your daily life. We also have laws and punishments for MMS clipping, Child Pornography
- Women can lodge a complaint via email – Suppose a woman isn’t able to go to the police station to file complaints due to some reason then they can register a complaint via email or through the post.
- Only women officers can arrest women– Women have all the right not to go to the station if only male officers have come for the arrest. In case of a serious crime, male police officers should have a written permit from the magistrate to escort the lady.
- Women should be arrested before sunset.
- A pregnant woman cannot be asked to leave the job– Firing a pregnant woman from the job is punishable with a fine and imprisonment for up to 3 months.
- A single man cannot adopt a girl child.
Read more: All you need to know about the G7 tax deal
Don’t worry we’ve more that aren’t necessarily for girls or women, in general for everyone.
- You are entitled to receive a 40 Lakh cover if your cylinder explodes- sounds crazy right? Yes As per the law, all registered LPG customers are entitled to a cover of Rs 40 Lakh in case of loss of life or damage to property due to cylinder explosions. This cover is for the entire family.
- A live-in relationship isn’t illegal.
- In case your workplace doesn’t pay you then you might have the ability to file an FIR towards it within 3 years. However, for those who report after 3 years, you’ll not get something for the due.
- Attempted suicide illegal, if not successful- Another crazy one right? Yes, Section 309 of the Penal Code makes sure you are punished if you don’t do suicide right. The law states that a successful suicide is legal, but failure to succeed might land you in jail.
- At the time of driving if your 100ml blood contains more than 30mg of alcohol then the police can arrest you without a warrant.
- As a citizen of India, we do have our fundamental rights, Right against discrimination on the grounds of religion, race, caste, sex or place of birth. Right to equality of opportunity in the matter of public employment, freedom of speech & expression.